DIY experts Katie and Jon
DIY experts Katie and Jon Jasiewicz from SewWoodsy.com show how to frame a "builder grade" mirror as part of their series of DIY tutorials for Homes.com.
In this DIY tutorial Jon provides step-by-step instructions to dress up the standard bathroom mirror many builders install by defualt. With some paint, some glue, a saw and miter box, he demonsrates how easy it is to bring a touch of elegance to a plain old wall hanging. Be sure to visit frequently for inspiration tips on how complete your next project!
How did you compensate for the 3/8 in thickness of the mirror on the side edge piece opposite the wall? Do you have a gap between the frame and wall? Imagine one could router or dado blade out the depth to make a step and have side piece contact wall and mirror.
MDF bubbles with moisture. bad choice!
Cute idea but not with that cheap ass bar light above it
I have a question, I hope you can help plan to do this this weekend. My wall is about 3 inches to the wall would you do the 45 cuts or just go all the way to the wall?
This is gorgeous, but instead of concentrating on the gluing in place around the mirror (which is the no brainer part) I wish you had shown is the cutting and assembly process on the trim! As a beginner who has never worked with trim, I realize it's not terribly complicated, but that is the part I need to see!
Now I want this look, and am still a bit in the dark about how to achieve it. I guess trial and error will have to suffice.
This Old House general
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva installs interior window trim using hand tools. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Shopping List for Installing Interior Window Trim:
- 1x4 primed pine, used to make window trim
- 120-grit sandpaper, for smoothing the window stool
- 2-inch (6d) and 2 1/2-inch (8d) finishing nails
- Carpenter's glue
- Damp cloth, used to wipe away excess glue and sanding dust
- Wood putty, for filling nail holes
- Interior-grade paint
Tools List for Installing Interior Window Trim:
- Layout square, used to mark square cutlines
- Handsaw, for cutting the wood trim
- Block plane, for rounding over and smoothing the window stool
- Scriber, used to mark the stool notches
- Nailset, for setting nailheads
- Putty knife, used to apply wood putty
- Sash brush, for painting the trim
[BOLD "Steps for Installing Interior Window Trim:
1. Mark the location of each side casing on the wall.[BR]
2. Measure and crosscut the window stool to length from 1x4 primed pine.[BR]
3. Rip the window stool to width using a handsaw.[BR]
4. Use a pencil scriber to mark a notch on each end of the stool.[BR]
5. Saw the notches from the stool so it fits snugly around the window stops.[BR]
6. Round over the sharp edges and ends of the window stool using the block plane and 120-grit sandpaper.[BR]
7. Fasten the stool to the window with 2[FRACTION 12]-inch finishing nails.[BR]
8. Tap the nailheads below the surface using a hammer and nailset.[BR]
9. Saw the side casings to length, then glue and nail them in place with 2-inch and 2[FRACTION 12]-inch finishing nails.[BR]
10. Nail up through the underside of the window stool and into the bottom end of the side casings.[BR]
11. Mark and crosscut the head casing to length.[BR]
12. Glue and nail the head casing across the top of the window.[BR]
13. Mark and cut the apron to length.[BR]
14. Apply glue along the top edge of the apron, then nail it to the wall directly below the window stool.[BR]
15. Wipe away any excess glue with a damp cloth.[BR]
16. Fill all nail holes with wood putty. Once the putty dries, sand the surface smooth.[BR]
17. Wipe away sanding dust with a damp cloth, then paint the trim.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we're ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O'Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Install Interior Window Trim | Ask This Old House
to make it real authentic a 1 X 4 should be 1'' X 4" not this 3/4 x 3 1/2 crap they have now they call a 1 X 4
Imagine going through all that work to fabricate the stool and the nail splits it apart. Also tom was showing off big time with the pencil skills
Yesssss! ? I was watching while taking a break from our new old house and Jamb liners is they key word ive been needing !!! Thank you ! I knew they were wood single hung windows but they previous owners painted the jamb liners so we cant open most of the windows and I couldn't find what this part was called ! Ive been watching since i was a kid ( esp sundays before noon mass) and knew id figure it out eventually lol
if it was me you'll see 16 power tools around and unfinished job ! ?
I love this guy but when he free hands a straight line I wanna' throw the TV out the window! Because I've seen Tommy do it a million times, I keep trying but just can't! Lol
SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL
SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/c/MiaNicole?sub_confirmation=1
SHOP MY FAVORITE HAIR GO TOs :https://www.amazon.com/shop/mianicole
▶️ RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS!! ◀️
Growth Oil https://gsbysadora.com/product/hair-growth-oil/?e-aff=1596
Use Code " GSMIA" for $$$ off
Name Necklace = YAFEINI JEWELRY http://bit.ly/2XuE0ns
Glow By Daye
Conditioning Heat Cap: https://www.glowbydaye.com/?ref=-h9csglax84
Satin Bonnet: https://www.glowbydaye.com/?ref=-h9csglax84
-Xtreme Professional Wet Line Styling Gel Extra Hold https://amzn.to/2EHoR8t
-Edge Booster https://amzn.to/2FMNIJv
-Africas Best Ultimate Herbal Oil https://amzn.to/2AUf4IQ
?OTHER VIDEOS YOU MAY ENJOY?
Natural Hair Product Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEPBTTUFSN9jsWvN7YNWloV2KWl7-0Nk8
Wash And Go's !!!! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEPBTTUFSN9iypiaTgB3gpduQIxn6UxRy
Travel VLOGS! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEPBTTUFSN9hJIp9xAZp9D2ovhFQWIfjn
Natural Hair Tips and Tricks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEPBTTUFSN9iVyxN71Vh9zXQA17AQ_nz-
Hair Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEPBTTUFSN9izDNwH1ATamd5PnPjDNZOC
?CONNECT WITH ME?
-Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter: @onlymianicole
?CONTACT INFO: [email protected]
Do you ever get single strand knots? If so, what do you do to minimize them?
Dang gurl yo hair has grown so much. U should do another video of your hair growth journey from then to 2020.
How often do you straighten your hair?
I can’t wait til my hair gets this long ?